Friday, December 28, 2012

Hildegard of Bingen: One Thousand Year Old Letters

Truth be told, I have not read this book, but I hope to buy it soon (regardless of the Amazon review).

For the uninitiated, Hildegard of Bingen was a Christian Mystic, a Benedictine Abbess, and a polymath. I have known about her for many years due to the Anonymous 4 recording of her music. As a former student of classical composition at Rutgers University, I was blown out of the water by her approach and skill. While I would never consider myself in the same league as her, I dabble in many fields and am intrigued in what her letters would be like. The time period and religious hierarchy must have been rather hard for her amazing presence as a woman and her letters formal. Still, I am curious as to her ability to stand her ground within it all. Should be a good read....

http://www.amazon.com/Personal-Correspondence-Hildegard-Bingen-Letters/dp/0195308239

No comments:

Post a Comment