Monday, August 12, 2013

My Luck Running True to Form.....

I was driving home after getting some stuff to try to fix my lawnmower and I heard THIS about writing on WHYY radio. I wanted to call in and discuss matters with the guests BUT it was a repeat episode and they were not taking calls nor emails.

My thoughts, in brief, is that writing a memoir has attached to it the concept of Fame, of being known by the masses. Like it or not, that is the truth. My "memoir" Not the Yearbook You Expected was written as an article. If you write with the hope that the world will see it, the writing, while still a craft, becomes a performance, something no longer exclusionary to the act itself.

Personal letters are a conversation, a private (perhaps even sacred) conversation, between ONLY two people. The word, I believe, is called, "Intimate".

Let us never confuse motion with progress. The personal letter is sensual and intimate and carries a weight all its own. It is not journal writing or diary keeping or blogging. It is in a league of its own.

No comments:

Post a Comment